Network Management Policy
Northern Valley Communications (NVC) is committed to providing broadband access service based on network management policies that protect and empower our broadband access customers, and maximize the benefits of the Internet experience for all customers.
II. General Policies
A. NVC will provide connections and transport services to the public Internet to customers and will manage its network and provide access in accordance with the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC’s) Open Internet Rules (adopted December 21, 2010) and in compliance with any future Internet policies or rules adopted by the FCC.
B. To ensure Open Access to the Broadband Internet, NVC will not unjustly or unreasonably:
• Block, interfere with or degrade an end user’s ability to access, use, send, post, receive, or offer lawful content (including fair use), applications, or services of the user’s choice;
• Throttle, interfere with or degrade an end user’s ability to connect and use the end user’s choice of legal devices that do not harm the network;
• Prevent or interfere with competition among network, application, service or content providers;
• Engage in discrimination against any lawful Internet content, application, service or service provider with respect to network management practices, network performance characteristics, or commercial terms and conditions;
• Give preference to affiliated content, applications, or services with respect to network management practices, network performance characteristics, or commercial terms and conditions;
C. Applicable Laws
• NVC complies with the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitations Act, a portion of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that allows Internet service providers to remove or disconnect customer access to copyright infringing material;
• NVC complies with all other applicable laws and regulations, including the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
D. Network Security and Congestion Management Policies
For the safety and privacy of our access customers and with respect for all customers, NVC
• Follows standard best efforts for Internet delivery with respect to allocation of capacity without differentiation among applications, providers, or sources; uses generally accepted technical measures such as application-neutral bandwidth allocation, as well as measures to address service attacks, illegal content and other harmful activities to protect network integrity and reliability to provide acceptable service levels to all customers.
• Reserves the right to prioritize traffic based on real time and non-real time applications during heavy congestion periods based on generally accepted technical measures.
E. Affiliated Prioritization /Paid Prioritization
NVC does not practice directly or indirectly any prioritization of traffic that favors some traffic over other traffic, whether it is to an affiliated company or to any other customer in exchange for consideration, money, or otherwise.
Due to limited bandwidth capacity on an upstream basis (customer to Internet), service is provided equally to all customers, protocols, and sources or destinations on the Internet such as websites, e-mail servers, etc. Service is not prioritized by customer or source or destination on the Internet. No services, protocols, or legal sources and destinations on the Internet are blocked other than for reasonable network management. Any effects on service may only be noticeable in times of significant congestion.
F. Devices & Software
There are no restrictions on types of devices you may connect to NVC’s network other than that they must be approved by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for use in the US telecommunications network. You may not connect any equipment to NVC’s network that is not approved by the FCC. Most commercially available equipment such as modems, routers, and PCs are approved. All equipment approved by the FCC will have a label stating that it is approved and what the type of the approval is. This information is also found in the user’s manual or printed instructions that are provided with the equipment and may be found online at the manufacturer’s website. You should read this label whenever you buy any equipment you wish to connect to NVC’s network. If you have questions about any particular equipment, please call us at (888) 919-8945.
NVC’s Internet access service is designed to function with accepted industry standard interface software such as provided by Microsoft, Apple, and others. If you use a type of software not widely used in the worldwide Internet, you may experience some problems with compatibility between your software and NVC’s Internet access service. If you have any questions, please call us at (888) 919-8945, and we will try to help you resolve this problem. It is the customer’s responsibility to assure that their software and operating interfaces conform to industry accepted specifications.
III. Pricing and Terms and Conditions of Service
IV. Performance Characteristics
Please click on the following website link(s) for a general description of Northern Valley Communication’s service, including the service technology, expected and actual access speed and latency, and the suitability of the service for real-time applications:
For actual speeds and latency:
Contact Us: Questions, Comments, Concerns
If you have any questions about Northern Valley Communication’s Network Management Policies, you may contact us by calling our business office at 605-725-1000 or writing to us at Northern Valley Communications, 2211 8th Ave NE, Aberdeen, SD 57401, or come by our business offices at 2211 8th Ave NE, Aberdeen, SD 57401 or email us at NVC@NVC.NET.
Last Updated November 20, 2011
Bundle and Save with Us Today!
Select the services you are interested in to see how you can save in bundling.
Here for Life
At NVC, we understand that life gets busy. That’s why we are committed to keeping you and your family connected no matter where life takes you. To make things a little easier, we are giving NVC customers of five years or more our Customer Loyalty Discount.
Watch the video to learn more about how being a part of the NVC family benefits you.